Whether you are soon to start another year at school, college or university or whether you are starting one of these for the first time, my biggest top tip is to get yourself organised and prepared in advance to really hit the ground running. I am often complimented on my organisational skills so I thought I would list some things below which will, hopefully, help you!
- Buy yourself a good diary! I have a diary which has the same week on both pages. I write on one side when I am in university or on placement and then on the other side when I am working, have appointments or anything else I have planned outside of university time. I find this double page spread easier to balance and organise my study and free time!
- Buy a to-do list pad! If you’re like me then making lists will be a necessity when you are trying to keep on top of everything you need to do. I also love it when you can check something of the list as it brings a great sense of accomplishment!
- Buy notebooks and pens. I have a notebook for each module as I find that easier for revision and a little pocket-sized one for each placement to jot down any new skill I have learnt or area I want to research. Pens are so essential! There is nothing worse than being in the middle of a two hour lecture and your pen running out so do pack a spare! It is also quite common on placement that your pens will just disappear so pack plenty!
- Treat yourself to some pretty highlighters! With my course I find it easier to colour code my diary and calendar to make it clearer to see when I am in university, on placement, on PDP, on annual leave or on a skills week.
- Pack your bag the night before. I make my lunch and pack my bag with everything I need for the next day the night before. In the morning all you have to do is get yourself ready, grab your bag and you’re out of the door!
- Plan your day the night before. I glance at my diary so I know where I have to be and when. I also priortise what needs to be done as there are only so many hours in the day!
- My last, and probably most important, top tip is to get a good nights sleep so that you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to face the day!
I hope you find some of these tips useful!