At this time of year I know that many students are studying for exams or writing assignments. I have two assignments and one exam that I am currently working on so I thought I would share some things that I do and find useful in the hope that they may help you too! I have focused these tips on writing an assignment but they can be applied to revision too.
- Don’t put it off. Start jotting down ideas straight away. Areas you want to investigate, research that needs to be explored, and make a clear plan of the direction of the assignment. Starting early means that you will be submitting an assignment that is more polished and of a higher standard as you won’t be rushing to get it finished or stressing over the looming deadline.
- Set yourself goals. Personally I love setting little targets for myself. For example; write 250-500 words a day. The most important thing to remember here is to make your goals achievable. It is really motivating when you reach the target and can be even more rewarding when you exceed it. These goals also help you to manage your time effectively.
- Take regular breaks. It is important to keep yourself hydrated and your brain fuelled as well as giving yourself a rest from the glare of a computer screen. I regularly give myself a 15 minute snack and screen break. Every afternoon I walk my dogs. This is a great for getting some exercise and fresh air.
- Allows yourself days off. If you get a head start and spread out your workload there is no reason for you to be glued to the laptop for days on end. I have a scan through my diary and choose which days I am having off, making sure I achieve my goals on my assignment writing days so I can enjoy my free time without feeling guilty. I also like to keep my evenings free to spend at the gym or with my family.
- Aim to complete the assignment a week before it is due. I like to have my assignment ready early enough for me to do some last minute editing and adjusting before submission. Again, this prevents the panic of an approaching deadline and just makes you feel good knowing it is done!
- Don’t panic! It is very easy to become stressed about the workload and managing your time successfully to complete the assignment but it is so important to put your mental health first. Make sure you have a good nights sleep and remember that you will finish this assignment!
I hope you will find some of these little tips useful. Keep working hard and pushing yourself to submit the best assignment yet!